Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Cooking Like a Real Man


For the longest time now I've intended to write up a nice recipe post. I love to cook, (and eat), and I've even had the admirable if unrealized goal of trying out one new recipe a week. In our relationship, I certainly wear the cooking pants. Which is why I am surprised that Dave has preempted me and cooked something blog-worthy first.
For our anniversary (which was at the beginning of the month, by the way) I gave Dave a grill and a cookbook. Dave finds grilling to be a much more acceptable--or manly, if you will--way to cook. Personally I think it has to do with all the skewering, stabbing, and charring involved, not to mention all the fire and raw meat. Being outdoors probably has something to do with it too. (You'll notice in the pictures that Dave used this as an excuse not to wear a shirt). Anyways, we had a slight role reversal on Saturday as Dave prepared a new recipe he had picked out of his cookbook with me as a sous chef. It was delicious, and made me wonder momentarily if it wasn't a bit sneaky and underhanded of me to buy Dave a present that he would have to use to cook me yummy food with. Down below is the blow-by-blow of the recipe, for anyone who would like to try it. 
Grilled Sausages with Onions, Peppers, and Crusty Bread


Start out with raw sausages of your choice. Ours had cheese in them, but any kind will work. Prick them several times with something sharp so that later the steam will be able to escape the casings and you won't have to deal with exploding sausages. Then, put them in a saucepan with some thinly sliced onion and a mixture of three parts water to one part apple juice (or beer, if you want to follow the original recipe). Simmer for four minutes, remove from pan and allow to drain.


While the sausages are simmering, take the time to prep your onions and bell peppers. Onions should be quartered and skewered. Bell peppers are grilled whole. Both the vegetables and the sausages should be lightly brushed with oil before going on the grill.



Vegetables should go on the grill when it is hot, sausages when it is medium hot. Both get grilled four minutes per side.
For those of you who live in Utah, the author of the cookbook has a great show that airs on the PBS station on Saturdays. I'm very excited for Dave to try some more of his recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment