Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Chili Cook-Off

On Wednesday our ward had the annual Halloween/trunk-or-treat party. For the dinner beforehand they organized a chili cook-off, and I won second place for best chili! I enjoyed the chance to try out a recipe that my mom used to make. It was the first time I've made it myself, and I tweaked it a bit to add some more spice. I didn't exactly use exact measurements when I was cooking, but I'll share the original recipe and try to describe my additions.

White Chicken Chili
2 Medium cans white navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 cube butter
1/4 c. flour
3/4 c. chicken broth
2 c. milk
1 tsp Tabasco
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
salt  and pepper to taste
2 roasted pasilla chilies or 2 4oz cans of green chilies
3 cups cooked chicken--shredded or cubed
1 1/2 c. Monterrey jack cheese
1/2 c. sour cream

Cook onion and garlic in two tablespoons of butter until softened, but not browned. In large pot melt remaining butter over low heat and whisk in flour. Keep whisking for about 3 minutes--do not brown. Stir in onions and garlic. Gradually add broth and milk, still whisking. Bring to a boil and then simmer. While stirring, simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beans and remaining ingredients (except sour cream) and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes. Stir often. Lastly stir in the sour cream.



I used one can of canelli, one can of great northern beans, and one can of garbanzo beans. I couldn't find Pasilla chilies at the grocery store, so I just decided to grab a few of whatever looked good. I ended up with one pablano, two Cubanilles, and one Anaheim chili, all of which I seeded and deveined before adding them to a crock pot with the onions, chickens, beans, and stock. After letting that cook while I was at work, I rushed home and created a roux in a big pot. I added the milk and cheese until it was thickened, and then dumped in the contents of the crock pot. With Dave as my taste tester, I added garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and some sour cream. I liked it a lot more spicy than the original recipe called for (especially since all the milk and cheese and sour cream really cuts the hear anyways). I just hope I'll actually be able to duplicate it when I start to crave it again!

1 comment: