Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Gardening

I planted some herbs.





I grew up in a house with a large yard. Our backyard had a peach tree, two apricot trees, a nectarine tree (my favorite), a navel orange tree, a blood orange tree, a mandarin orange tree (my 2nd favorite), a fig tree (the dog's favorite), three plum trees, a pear tree (sans partridge), grape vines, and berry bushes. Such a large yard required a lot of upkeep--at least two hours worth each Saturday. Our front yard had about 18 different rosebushes, which were my responsibility. I pruned and weeded for $3 an hour--which even after I successfully argued for a dollar raise was still a measly amount. At the time I heartily disliked the intrusion on my weekends. Maybe it was the pay scale, or perhaps the summers I had to spread chicken manure in the rose beds. Of course, after I moved out and started living in itty-bitty student apartments, I really missed having a yard and even gardening! When we lived in our basement apartment I never bothered with attempting to grow anything because I was sure it would die from lack of sunlight, but ever since we've moved I've been excited to try. So, despite a small fear that I might still manage to kill them anyways, I planted some seeds a few weeks ago. And they are growing! I'm sure that one day we'll have a big yard and I'll perpetuate the cycle of chores. For now I am just happy with my herbs.

2 comments:

  1. I love your lil' baby herbs! They're so cute! Ooh, and go you for revolutionizing a dollar raise. That seems like quite the picking! ...can't wait to see you THURSDAY for some turkey.turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I think I recognize cilantro. (Mom Hallstrom)

    ReplyDelete